He started his talk discussing the poor arguments against religion:
- Science has NOT disproven God - it is silly to make that argument
- Atrocities done in the name of religion - there are certainly atrocities done by atheists as well as many good deeds done in the name of religion. This is a very weak argument.
- Scripture - it is not validated
- Morality - both religious and non-religious may be moral or immoral
- Consolation - use religion to console, fear of death
- Inspiration - Bach could be argued to be inspired by religion. Sure, but was he inspired by God or did that come from himself. PZ had a great comeback for this one - "Have you ever listened to Christian Rock these days?"
- Non-overlapping ideas - Religion and science can't mix.
He did have a funny "top 10" list of why Religion is Just Like Pornography. It was amusing and you can read all the details on his blog.
I think the highlight of the talk was his statement:
"Religion has been granted an exalted, priveleged position in our culture. What it deserves is laughter."We had a nice discussion after the talk, but certainly nothing as heated as I epected. I guess the religious nutjobs stayed away from this one.