Thursday, February 22, 2007

Death to women who won't cover their heads

PZ Myers has a lot to say today about the execution of Pakistan's Minister for Social Welfare in Punjab province. Her crime? She did not cover her head.

The shooter had this to say . .
"I have no regrets. I just obeyed Allah's commandment," he said, adding that Islam did not allow women to hold positions of leadership. "I will kill all those women who do not follow the right path, if I am freed again," he said
I particularly like PZ's commentary about this story . .
Face it, everyone. Religion is not a source of moral behavior. It's a source of tribalism and obedience to authority, which sometimes coincides with respectable morality, but isn't necessarily associated with it. We have to find our virtue in one true thing, our common humanity, and these ancient superstitions actually interfere with instruction in how to be good by encrusting it with nonsense.
Read more from PZ here . . .

No comments: