Thursday, April 24, 2008

I Believe

I believe in Freedom of Speech. If the religious nutjobs in Florida want to have a license plate with xtian sentiments, more power too them. I think some people who read this blog may be surprised that I say that. I don't have any problem with this proposal. As I said, we should all have freedom to express our opinions and beliefs. If someone wants to paint their car with big Jesus fish on the side, I don't care. If they want to tattoo a cross on their foreheads, way to go! Easier to identify the crazy people, if you ask me. There's something funny, though. It's religious folks that are getting bent out of shape about this license plate. They have the same sentiments as apparent anti-semite Rep. Kelly Skidmore, a Roman Catholic from Florida.
"It's not a road I want to go down. I don't want to see the Star of David next. I don't want to see a Torah next. None of that stuff is appropriate to me," said Skidmore, a Democrat who voted against the plate in committee.
You see, they only want their religion expressed and would never want any other's to be acknowledged in public. What would their children think if they were tolerant of other's beliefs?

Yes, I want to see this plate adopted in Florida and then see what happens when requests for Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Secular plates start appearing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Problem. AFAIK, the money raised would go towards "Faith in Teaching", which would pass it on to religious-based schools.

When it's just a message, sure. When its being used to fund indoctrination of children, I have a problem.